Dear President Obama, your second term is over, you will be gone in a few weeks so I thought I needed to share my thoughts and feelings about your tenure before you go, please forgive any slights you find in this article.
During your first election in 2008, I was an Elector, one of the first Muslim Electors in the country. I was looking forward to the promise of Hope and Change which, after King George the Worst, could only get better.
I like what you did with the so-called “Obama Care”. Of course it does not go as far as it should in any self-respecting developed country, but I understand the limitations you had, facing an opportunistic and spineless Congress that caters more to their paymasters than they do to the electorate and to the nation. You did your best and many people have been helped in spite of its much-proclaimed faults. Thank you.
You were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize one year after you became President, in 2009. I must admit I was a bit mystified because at the time, I could not see anything you had done that rose to the level of the award, Continue reading
Yes, we are almost on September 11, 2016. For those who may not be aware, this is the 15th anniversary of the 9-11 tragedy where about 3000 people were killed in suicide attacks on America. Yes, this is the day that comes every year, when America gets to rip its collective scab off the wound so it can relive the pain and bleed again and this is a day for grief.
Recently a friend expressed surprise when I mentioned that Obama holds weekly meetings at which he signs off on a “Kill List” of suspects…regardless of “Collateral Losses” (non-combatants, women, children). I conducted a search and came up with many links but I thought these three below, should be shared with all.
Should we be punishing people who defect from ISIS or should we be encouraging them? The answer is the difference between stupidity and intelligence, between bigotry and open-mindedness.
On March 16th, news emerged that an American ISIS fighter was captured by Kurdish forces in Iraq. He turned out to be an American youth who went to join ISIS last December but was disillusioned and was trying to return home to America.
Judging from the comments that usually follow any news about Muslims or Islam, far too many Americans cannot wait to have themselves a lynching party if he should actually return. The law is also on their side, anyone who fights the US or any of our glorified allies (even the ones who are extremely tyrannical), anyone who supports fight against the US or any of our allies, anyone who sympathizes with fighters against the US or any of our allies, is subject to prosecution and imprisonment…for a very long time. Continue reading
Last week we had an excellent gathering at the Trinity Lutheran Church in Lynnwood with speakers and covered by the press. The event was organized in response to the hate and violence being promoted by the Republican Party Presidential candidates and by many others around the country. While they gave me undeserved credit, the evening was conceived and executed by the Lutheran Pastor Terry Kyllo.
Speaking at the event were:
- Opening: Lutheran Pastor Terry Kyllo
- Welcome: Church Pastor Paul Sundberg
- Lutheran Bishop Kirby Unti
- Sheikh Ismail Ahmed
- CAIR-WA Director Arsalan Bokhari
- Author Lesley Hazleton (The First Muslim and After the Prophet and many others)
- Imam Benjamin Shabazz from the WD Mohammed Muslim community
- Refugee Resettlement John Forseth
There were over 350 people present including a fair number of Muslims, it was a fabulous success!
If you would like to view the event or just listen to it, please check out the Catacombs Church link where you will also find some of the coverage from the Press. Scroll down towards the bottom to see “Audio of the event” and “Complete video of the event“.
I would like to share two thoughts with you, one about Christians and America and the other (towards the end) about Muslims… Continue reading
I have heard many a Muslim scholar and Imam telling their listeners not to vote and I have disagreed with them every time.
As I see it, here is the problem Muslims face in every US (or other?) election; our votes do not count. To be sure, they count as far as the politicians are concerned because they understand how razor-thin margins can make the difference between an electoral victory or defeat.
- Senator Al Franken from (MN) won his first election by a mere 7 votes and two recounts.
- Senator Maria Cantwell (WA) won her first election by 2900 votes after spending over $10 million of her own money; big egos require big spending!
- Ex-Gov Christine Gregoire won her first election by 129 recounted votes.
- And the greatest tragedy of all, King George The Worst (GW) won his first election by a microscopic 600 Floridian votes…incidentally, where Muslims gave him their greatest support and money..
That’s how crucial votes can be for those fighting elections.
So why shouldn’t Muslims vote?
Because politically, we do not exist. Continue reading
- US bid to revoke citizenship of Portland mosque’s imam is rare move Agents of the FBI and U.S. Customs and Immigration Enforcement investigated Kariye’s travels and associations, discovering that he had direct dealings with Osama bin Laden during the war in Afghanistan and an Islamic group, Maktab Al-Khidamat, which the U.S. now describes as a defunct terrorist organization. Kariye is a plaintiff in a lawsuit that accuses the FBI and its Terrorist Screening Center of violating the constitutional rights of several people placed on the U.S. no-fly list.