Last week we had an excellent gathering at the Trinity Lutheran Church in Lynnwood with speakers and covered by the press. The event was organized in response to the hate and violence being promoted by the Republican Party Presidential candidates and by many others around the country. While they gave me undeserved credit, the evening was conceived and executed by the Lutheran Pastor Terry Kyllo.
Speaking at the event were:
- Opening: Lutheran Pastor Terry Kyllo
- Welcome: Church Pastor Paul Sundberg
- Lutheran Bishop Kirby Unti
- Sheikh Ismail Ahmed
- CAIR-WA Director Arsalan Bokhari
- Author Lesley Hazleton (The First Muslim and After the Prophet and many others)
- Imam Benjamin Shabazz from the WD Mohammed Muslim community
- Refugee Resettlement John Forseth
There were over 350 people present including a fair number of Muslims, it was a fabulous success!
If you would like to view the event or just listen to it, please check out the Catacombs Church link where you will also find some of the coverage from the Press. Scroll down towards the bottom to see “Audio of the event” and “Complete video of the event“.
I would like to share two thoughts with you, one about Christians and America and the other (towards the end) about Muslims… Continue reading
Of course, now that elections are over, there is even less to fear by bashing Islam and Muslims. Republican State Rep Jay Rodne represents the Snoqualmie 5th district…those who are not Muslims of course! He does not even regard us Muslims as being Americans in fact, he wants “America” (the non-Muslims of course) to solve the Muslim problem by getting guns.
Contacting ISIS is really easy in Seattle.
Follow these easy instructions if you wish to meet someone in ISIS:
Right-wing groups are always looking for a threat that spreads fear and thus, causes the masses to unite behind a savior party…themselves. Throughout history, this has worked well for the right-wing, they look for a minority that has little or no political clout and then rush in for the kill…literally. Germany and Serbia come to mind immediately.
It is no different for the American right-wing today; the Republican Party, who have found their minority of choice; Muslims.
When Republican Presidential contender Ben Carson made his statements against Muslims and Islam, he was only serving as the voice of the Republican Party, which has nailed its colors on the mast of anti-Muslim hate and fear. He is not alone, there is not s single Republican party contender who does not support a platform that is hostile to Islam and Muslims.
Personally, I don’t care if he is against a possible Muslim president, plenty of people are against having a president who is form one group or another; Muslim, Jews, Atheist, Gay. Black, Hispanic…you name the group and someone will not want them to participate in the leadership of this country. It’s okay, it is their right to stand as they will.
Ben Carson and other Republican (and a number of Democrat) leaders however, are obliged to at least state their reasons for being against a group, accurately instead of fanning the flames of ignorance and bigotry. Let’s take a look at what he stands against. Continue reading
I have heard many a Muslim scholar and Imam telling their listeners not to vote and I have disagreed with them every time.
As I see it, here is the problem Muslims face in every US (or other?) election; our votes do not count. To be sure, they count as far as the politicians are concerned because they understand how razor-thin margins can make the difference between an electoral victory or defeat.
- Senator Al Franken from (MN) won his first election by a mere 7 votes and two recounts.
- Senator Maria Cantwell (WA) won her first election by 2900 votes after spending over $10 million of her own money; big egos require big spending!
- Ex-Gov Christine Gregoire won her first election by 129 recounted votes.
- And the greatest tragedy of all, King George The Worst (GW) won his first election by a microscopic 600 Floridian votes…incidentally, where Muslims gave him their greatest support and money..
That’s how crucial votes can be for those fighting elections.
So why shouldn’t Muslims vote?
Because politically, we do not exist. Continue reading
- US bid to revoke citizenship of Portland mosque’s imam is rare move Agents of the FBI and U.S. Customs and Immigration Enforcement investigated Kariye’s travels and associations, discovering that he had direct dealings with Osama bin Laden during the war in Afghanistan and an Islamic group, Maktab Al-Khidamat, which the U.S. now describes as a defunct terrorist organization. Kariye is a plaintiff in a lawsuit that accuses the FBI and its Terrorist Screening Center of violating the constitutional rights of several people placed on the U.S. no-fly list.