Muslims, Mosques & the Myth of “Due Process” of the Law
Far too many people are under the misguided impression that Justice and the Law, are one and the same, just as many people are also under the illusion that the United States has a constitution that protects us all with equal justice, that we WILL have our day in court and if innocent, nothing can happen to us.
These people are in the same class of children who desperately cling to believing in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.
What is prompting this message?
Tomorrow…yes, 9-11…I will be part of a panel discussion on the National Defense Appropriations Authorization Bill of 2013 (and 2010 onwards) and how it is taking away the people’s civil rights and liberties.
- Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 7:30 - 9:00 p.m.
Panel Discussion (http://townhallseattle.org/panel-discussionindefinite-detention-without-due-process/)
Indefinite Detention without Due Process
Downstairs at Town Hall; (8th & Seneca, Seattle) enter on Seneca Street. $5.
As I am preparing my thoughts on how NDAA 2013 is a serious threat to Americans, particularly and especially Muslims, I see just how serious the situation is for Muslims because of events and actions taken by Federal, State and local authorities that individually, may not seem quite as dangerous, but taken as a whole, are so incredibly dangerous that it is hard to believe. I fail to understand why Muslims in America are so passive about the fact that we are being pushed over the cliff because of our faith. I fail to understand why Muslims are paralyzed when power and success are lying in the hollow of our hands…IF we want it.
Let’s look at the dots that, if connected, form a noose around Muslim necks (highlighting is mine):
- Authorization For Use of Military Force (AUMF): (a) IN GENERAL- That the President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons.
SEC. 1021. AFFIRMATION OF AUTHORITY OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES TO DETAIN COVERED PERSONS PURSUANT TO THE AUTHORIZATION FOR USE OF MILITARY FORCE. (Note: See AUMF above)
(a) IN GENERAL.-Congress affirms that the authority of the President to use all necessary and appropriate force pursuant to the Authorization for Use of Military Force (Public Law 107-40; 50 U.S.C. 1541 note) includes the authority for the Armed Forces of the United States to detain covered persons (as defined in subsection (b)) pending disposition under the law of war.
(b) COVERED PERSONS.-A covered person under this section is any person as follows:
(1) A person who planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored those responsible for those attacks.
(2) A person who was a part of or substantially supported al-Qaeda, the Taliban, or associated forces that are engaged in hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners, including any person who has committed a belligerent act or has directly supported such hostilities in aid of such enemy forces.
(c) DISPOSITION UNDER LAW OF WAR.-The disposition of a person under the law of war as described in subsection (a) may include the following:
(1) Detention under the law of war without trial until the end of the hostilities authorized by the Authorization for Use of Military Force.
- NYPD labels mosques terrorism enterprises. The New York Police Department has secretly labeled entire mosques as terrorism organizations. The designation has allowed police to use informants to record sermons and spy on imams, often without specific evidence of criminal wrongdoing.
- Asset Forfeiture Laws. Hundreds of state and federal laws authorize forfeiture for cockfighting, drag racing, basement gambling, endangered-fish poaching, securities fraud, and countless other misdeeds.
In general, you needn’t be found guilty to have your assets claimed by law enforcement; in some states, suspicion on a par with “probable cause” is sufficient. Nor must you be charged with a crime, or even be accused of one. Unlike criminal forfeiture, which requires that a person be convicted of an offense before his or her property is confiscated, civil forfeiture amounts to a lawsuit filed directly against a possession, regardless of its owner’s guilt or innocence.
- DHS stops work on non-Muslim terrorism.
Put all these together and we have America’s full declaration of persecution of Muslims. The way asset forfeiture laws work is that anyone who is declared to be involved in racketeering, drugs or money-laundering, can be arrested and their assets sold off without charges ever being brought up. People have had their entire properties seized and sold before the courts ever had a chance to review the case and no, there is no compensation for false seizures (see item 4 above).
Thus, if a Mosque can be secretly listed as a “Terrorism Enterprise”, then obviously, their money and property is obtained through illegal funding and then, the mosque is open to asset-seizure AND all the members of that Mosque’s congregation are also “supporting a Terrorism Enterprise” and therefore, open to seizure and imprisonment…without the benefit of being charged or tried…either at Federal or at local levels!
Did I mention that the agency that enforces such seizures gets to keep all the money raised from such seizures (read #4 above)?
One does NOT have to be a genius to figure this out. Our freedom and our property are at the mercy of those who have the power and as it becomes more and more popular to bash and target Muslims, that mercy becomes less and less available to us Muslims.
There are people who blame me for spreading “Doom & Gloom”, who believe that if we think Happy Thoughts, we will have happy lives. Well folks, I have some breaking news to share; you cannot Happy thought your way out of the fact that you are a passenger on the Titanic and it is listing. ACTION, might get you away from the ship on a lifeboat and collective action might help free up some boats that are stuck on the decks and so more people can be saved, but prayers will not get God to send his angels to save our freezing hides, nor will Happy thoughts sly us to safety.
Are we stuck or, is there a way out of this mess?
It is time for us Muslims, ALL of us, to get off our comfortable seats and look at each other as Muslims, not Shia, Sunni, Selafi, Sufi, but as Muslims, who are all in grave danger in this country and being relieved of this threat is as easy as getting together (NOT “Muslim Unity”!)…and just as difficult.
Time is not on our side, we need to wake up and act quickly.